Youth (Teen) Meetings are held every Tuesday from 6:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. at the University Presbyterian Church, located at 300 Bushnell, 78212.
What are Youth Meetings Like?
We welcome all youth aged 12-18 to come join us for a Fiesta Youth Meeting. Our youth meetings were created to provide a safe, non-judgmental, affirming place for all LGBTQ youth. Every Tuesday, our youth meet at UPC to meet new friends, participate in fun games and activities (field trips, too!), and join in on group discussions.
A typical Fiesta Youth meeting looks like:
- 6:30 P.M. to 6:45 P.M. - Social / Snack Time
- Walk right on in and enjoy a snack. Don't forget to sign-in!
- 6:45 P.M. - Circle of Introductions (Listen up for the bell! This is our way of letting you know that we are starting the meeting.) To start off introductions, a Fiesta Youth volunteer will start off by introducing themselves - and then each person in the circle follows suit by stating their:
- Preferred Gender Pronoun (PGP) (He/Him, She/Her, They/Them/Theirs, Ze/Zir, etc.)
- Topic of the Day (e.g. What song best describes your day/week?)
- 7:00 P.M. to 7:15-ish - Announcements and Fun Game
- At this time, Fiesta Youth volunteers will make any important announcements about upcoming events / projects. Then, everyone plays a quick activity / game.
- 7:15 P.M. to 8:15 P.M. - Featured Activity and/or Middle School and High School Groups
- Some of our programming brings guest speakers and visitors. Volunteers work closely with these guests to provide a fun themed activity to the youth.
- Alternatively, during this hour, we might split into three smaller groups for discussion on an LGBTQ-related topic: 6th-8th grade, 9th-10th grade, and 11th-12th grade. Smaller groups allows us more time to have group discussions. With this format, discussion topics are usually introduced at the beginning of the meeting.
- 8:15 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. - "Pass the Squeeze" Send-Off Tradition and Shout-Outs
- "Pass the Squeeze" is our send off tradition where everyone gathers into a circle and joins hands. The leader will then squeeze the hand of the person next to them, who will then pass the squeeze onto the next person (without peeking, of course). The goal is to pass the squeeze back to the leader. After our send-off, we allow a couple of minutes for anyone to make a genuine shout-out. Shout-outs are special acknowledgments and appreciations to other youth and volunteers. Although compliments are always encouraged, we like to save this time for those extra special acknowledgements.
- 8:30 P.M. - Parent Pick-Up (Parents, Please Arrive Promptly)
- That's all, folks!
We really hope you join us for a meeting and form lasting friendships! If you are the shyer type, that's O.K.! Parents and youth are always welcome to just observe a meeting for their first time. The initial part of the meeting can be nerve-wracking for some, so we want to be sure that we make all youth feel welcome.
No Pressure Guaranteed!